Any mechanical design project involves a design procedure that you need to stick to it for a complete finalized product you want.
Design involves considerations of many things like material and its properties requirements, size, shape, weights well as ergonomics. The design project should aim at following important criteria to be considered:
- Optimization with respect to size and shape
- Aesthetic (exterior look) and ergonomics
- Manufacturing consideration
- Weight and cost
You can choose 'Gear Box design' as final year project topics in Mechanical Engineering. Though the topics seem very simple it is not as simple as it looks. You need to consider all the above design considerations while designing Gear Box.
- Design of gear, which involves finding the number of teeth, module as well as nominal diameter and pitch
- Design of shafts which involves the calculation of shaft diameter, length as well as fits and tolerances
- Design of Housing which involves overall size determination based on internals like gears, shafts etc. Normally housing is made up of brittle material like cast iron or aluminum due to its low weight.
- Design of Transportation hooks which aim to find out size and cross-section of hook based on the total weight of Gear Box
One can also perform the Finite element analysis of individual components once design and manufacturing are over to check the feasibility in real application loads.
Find more details about the design of Gear Box with complete Gear Box design procedure or steps @indiastudychannel